Friday, March 19, 2010

So What’s the F&*#@^ Plan?

Photo from freedigitalphoto.net
From the time we are can talk and toddle around we start making plans. We plan what we want to be when we grow up (the policeman and ballerina occupations never looked so good). We plan where we are going to live (I’m going to live with Mommy forever!). We plan and we plan and we plan. Then we grow a little bit and those plans change. And that’s okay (being a Mommy clinging ballerina isn’t that healthy anyway).

Throughout our lives we make plans and then we change them. Why? Because we, as people, are constantly changing. So why is it that when we reach adulthood we are supposed to have it all figured out and have set our master plan?

At the ripe age of 26 I can honestly say that I don’t have the master plan laid out. And you know what I’m okay with that, I’m even happy about it. Eight years ago I had my life laid out if the perfect plan. I was going to be a vet. I was going to get my doctorate at CSU and practice medicine on horses for the rest of my days. Then college happened and my life and goals completely changed.

I've spent the last 4 ½ years exploring a few various marketing communication jobs trying to figure out where I fit, what was my niche, where would I be the most happy. One I even loved! Then the economy bottomed out, the unemployment line came beckoning. And what have I learned from that? That no matter how much you plan, everything can change in the blink of an eye. And you know what? That’s okay too. It’s not the end of the world. It’s an opportunity to learn more about yourself and who you are.

I’ve had the “What am I doing with my life?”, “Where am I going?”, and “What’s my plan?” conversation with many close girlfriends and several random people too.  And guess what? A good number of us aren’t really sure. We may not be where we thought we would be 2, 3 or 4 years ago. We aren’t working in the job or industry we had planned. We have found that our dream job wasn’t all it was cracked up to be.  We haven’t found that love of our life yet. Some of us have and still aren’t ready to make the family step yet (after all we’re in our 20s – what’s the rush?).

So here I sit at 26 - and yes, I’m employed again and have a great job. Is it what I want to do with the rest of my life? No. Do I know what I want to do? Maybe. And you know what? I’m okay with that. I’m perfectly happy not having everything planned. This is my life. It’s my one time to live and be me. And if it doesn’t all work out the way it was “planned” I’m going to continue being okay with that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts. I love to hear them. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails