Thursday, March 11, 2010

Happy Feelings & Protest Signs

Image by Ian Kahn
Recently I felt the philanthropic call ringing in my head again. It's been a while since I've answered it so I felt the need to pick up the receiver and get back in touch. A few years ago when I was residing in the remote state of WYO, I volunteered at the local Planned Parenthood working on education and outreach. Since Planned Parenthood is an organization that's mission is very close to my heart I felt that volunteering with PPRM would be the perfect way to get back in touch with my sense of community giving. 


After contacting the organization I was scheduled for an informal interview to make sure I was volunteer material. As I headed to headquarters on the day of my interview I fully expected to encounter some protesters. After all, it's a well known fact that where there are abortion services the nay sayers won't be far behind. I was even prepared for signs with more controversial imagery. What I was prepared for was the overly aggressive verbal messages that were hollered my way.


The facility does an excellent job with security. Visitors enter through the gate and protesters are kept behind an 8 foot fence, though the unwelcoming committee does make use of ladders so they peek over the trees and fence to hurl comments at visitors. The protesters seem to ignore the blinding fact that the majority of patrons are there to take advantage of the numerous other services that the facility offers, instead opting to insult me, my mother, my intelligence and my soul.


As a strong supporter, and often horn tooter myself, I support everyone's right to free speech, even if their opinion is opposite my own. I  welcome intelligent and thought provoking arguments on any topic. However, I fail to see how anyone can think that yelling derogatory comments at other people will make them change their minds about anything. I fail to see how that will make me think twice about anything. 


In fact I found that the words spoken by the protesters had the opposite effect than what they intended. Was I ashamed to be there? No. I was even more proud of the work the organization does even when faced with such open hostility and opposition. In the end as I smiled and silently walked toward the building I felt a even greater pride on being on the other side of that fence.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts. I love to hear them. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails