Monday, February 22, 2010

Snope Out the Truth

One of the biggest boons and issues I have found with the handy forward option in emails and texts is the possibility of finding out about information I may never of heard about otherwise. Denzel Washington donated a substantial amount to the Fisher House Foundation - a organization who like the Ronald McDonald house only for military families? Who knew? Not me until I was forwarded an email about it.

But for as many great new things I'm hearing about, I'm also hearing about a ton of things that really amount to only B.S. And FYI - No, Starbucks did not deny sending coffee to Marines fighting in Iraq, Afghanistan or any other place in the Middle East. So whats a girl to do when bombarded with tons of information, both fact and fictional? How am I supposed to know what is accurate or not? It's called Snopes.com and I'm constantly surprised by how may people haven't heard of it yet. (It is no where near a new phenomenon.)

Before I ever forward on an email that I find stuffed with interesting or startling facts I hit up Snopes and check out what the people there have to say about. Saves me from looking like an idiot by sending on false information. I encourage everyone to try to be more responsible source of info rather than just hitting the forward button.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts. I love to hear them. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails